20 March 2014

Produce & Pesticides: An Apple a Day to Keep the Doctor Away?


Humans need food; many of us like it very much.  We often hear advice to eat healthy and "watch what we eat"- to avoid excess sugar, salt, etc.  How about pesticides?

Recently, I stumbled across the Environmental Working Group's (EWG) 2013 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce.  Rankings of 48 popular fruits and vegetables are listed by levels of pesticide residue present.  This list was based on data collected from tests carried out by the USDA Testing Program and the Food and Drug Administration.  The EWG studies the data compiled from these tests and then ranks produce based on factors like the average number of pesticides found in each sample and the percentage of samples that had detectable pesticides.  The top 3 worst produce items were apples, strawberries, and grapes.  The best 3 produce items were corn, onions, and pineapples.







Pesticides are used to kill unwanted pests.  Insecticides kill insects; herbicides kill weeds; fungicides get rid of fungi.  The problem with pesticides is that they could pose serious health risks.  Pesticides have the potential to cause serious health problems like skin, eye and lung irritations, even cancer.  To think that any combination of these chemicals could be sprayed over our favorite produce items is something that might not usually cross our mind.  After learning about apples and strawberries I am very shocked.  My favorite apple snack is sprinkling Tajin chili seasoning over apple slices.  Now I know I will look at apples and strawberry ice cream in a different way.  

However, after thinking it over it makes some sense to me that apples would require more pesticides.  I remember when my grandpa planted an apple tree, and wow!! That poor tree took FOREVER to bear edible apples because it kept getting sick.  I remember wondering if my grandpa had accidentally purchased a reject.  He has always grown and cared for a number of plants since I was born (and that's 2.3 decades), and never had I seen him struggle with one plant more than that darn apple tree.  I guess apples are just more sensitive.  

Onions I can believe would have some of the lowest levels of pesticide residue; onion lovers sure are hard to find in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment